Saturday, March 29, 2014

Peanut Butter Chicken Surprise


Most Americans cringe at the thought of peanut butter on meat - seriously I did too.  I remember being 6 years old in a restaurant in NYC circa 1979 , or maybe 80  across from my mom's one and only "fancy friend" who brought us to a cool Thai restaurant to try this new  "Chicken Satay" thing. Peanut Butter Chicken - Surprise !

When the peanutbuttery Chicken entered my unsuspecting  mouth and my brain sputtered to the recognition that BOTH chicken and Peanuts had entered my mouth simultaneously it was promptly rejected - aka spat across table at said fancy friend.  Who, on God's green earth would EVER put peanut butter and meat on the same plate , WHO !

30 years later I am a bit more open to different food combinations.  While I think I will always prefer my Peanut Butter slathered in Jelly on white bread with a glass of cold milk , this Peanut Butter Chicken ain't half bad.  I will give you one word of warning, don't spring the Peanut butter - chicken combo on unsuspecting children.  I tried it on my 6 year old and it also was rejected , violently . In fact his face twisted into shapes it had never before attempted and the look of What the HELL did you do that to me for actually made me feel a little guilty and proud - he's just like the 6 year old version of his mom

Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe



8 chicken thighs - boneless skinless
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1/3 cup milk ( or coconut milk)
1 roll of Ritz Crackers crushed
Salt
2 teaspoons Curry Powder

Place Egg, milk, curry powder and peanut butter in a blender and blend well .  Pour into a shallow bowl
Place Crushed Ritz in a different shallow bowl
salt  Chicken thighs to taste then dredge through peanut butter sauce then Ritz Cracker crumbs
place in a 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is done

It's really no harder to make than any other breaded chicken.  Serve it with some Siracha if you like it spicy and Jasmine rice for a Thai style dinner

Enjoy Y'all !





No comments:

Post a Comment